[vtk-developers] need git help with submitting a second patch set

Félix C. Morency felix.morency at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 14:00:22 EDT 2013

If I understand correctly, you are trying to re-push a rebased branch. I
don't know about Gerrit, but in Git, you can't do that unless you force the
push. The problem comes from the rebase (squash) step. You can't modify (as
in rewrite) the history of a branch that has been pushed unless you force
it (-f). See [1] for more details.

  [1]:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8948964/git-rebase-master-then-push-origin-branch-results-in-non-fast-forward-error

HTH

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Sean McBride <sean at rogue-research.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Grrr git.  What does this mean:
>
> $ git gerrit-push
>
> Fetching gerrit master
> Pushing to gerrit
> Counting objects: 45, done.
> Delta compression using up to 16 threads.
> Compressing objects: 100% (22/22), done.
> Writing objects: 100% (24/24), 2.23 KiB, done.
> Total 24 (delta 19), reused 1 (delta 1)
> remote: Resolving deltas:   0% (0/19)
> error: failed to push some refs to 'SeanMcBride at review.source.kitware.com:
> VTK'
> To SeanMcBride at review.source.kitware.com:VTK
> !       HEAD:refs/for/master/Wlogical-not-parentheses   [remote rejected]
> (change 11545 closed)
>
> I have this guy open:
>
> <http://review.source.kitware.com/#/c/11566/>
>
> but need to tweak it, so I did another commit on the branch, squashed it,
> then tried to do gerrit-push...  I swear that process has worked before...
>
> Cheers,

Félix C. Morency, M.Sc.
Plateforme d’analyse et de visualisation d’images
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Sherbrooke
Centre de recherche clinique Étienne-Le Bel
Local Z5-3031 | 819.346.1110 ext 16634