[vtk-developers] [VTK 0014170]: Segfault in vtkSmartVolumeMapper

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Fri Jul 19 08:20:12 EDT 2013

About the UI - agreed. No one likes it or finds it intuitive.

Try the search field in the top right: (and no I don't know what the entire
set of keys is either)
for example:
entity:topic status:open project:VTK
entity:change reviewer:"John Biddiscombe" status:open
entity:topic owner:"John Biddiscombe" status:merged

About long topics/patchsets - also agreed. The list decided that best
practice is to limit topics to a handful of commits in length. It makes it
easier for others to understand what you did and review it, and makes it
easier to rebase or merge the topic into an ever changing master. What a
handful means exactly is up for interpretation.

Another point - everyone should understand the distinction between topics
and patchsets.

A topic is a just of series of git commits. Kitware's gerrit is unique in
that we've modified it to know about topics. Upstream gerrit only knows
about commits. Topics are a good thing, but they introduce even more
wrinkles. We only allow merges at the topic level and regression tests are
kicked off from the commit level for example.

A change set is a series of attempts at the same thing. This can be at the
commit or topic level. Take the commit level for simplicity. If I submit
something, and Bill rejects it in review. I will fix whatever dumb thing I
did and resubmit. I'll keep the same Change Id my commit message (git
--amend) to tell gerrit that I am working on the same thing. Gerrit will
show this as a new patchset on the same topic. Bill will review that and
eventually I'll either merge it, or abandon it. When I merge it, git master
only sees the more recent patch set and the wrong paths I took are
forgotten.

In any case, to make it easier to test someone's elses long set of changes,
use the download button to copy the "git fetch..." string from the most
recent patchset on the topic level so that you get the most recent patchset
of the entire topic all at once.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer