[vtk-developers] Gerrit request build

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Wed Feb 13 12:40:00 EST 2013

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Marcus,
>
> I notice that "request build" works at the change level, but not the
> topic level.

Yes, that is the only way it can work at present - the event stream
does not function correctly at the topic level to trigger anything.
This is why we didn't widely advertise it, but added it as an option.
If you want to use it then please feel free, but I can't give an ETA
for when that would work at the topic level.

> As we get more outside contributors, we insiders need to make sure a
> topic compiles and passes tests before we approve and submit a topic.

Agreed, as above - this is about the best we can delivery at present.
We can however separate out approver from auto-submission in order to
more quickly add people to the auto-submission group without
necessarily giving them full submit rights.

> Just today, an external contributors topic was approved and merged
> without a gerrit build. Turns out there was a syntax error.

We will continue to improve Gerrit as and when we can find time. Other
things we would like to do is remove the ability to self-review (most
people would approve their own topics, otherwise why did they even
submit them), and link up a green dashboard submission to Gerrit (may
take a little longer, but discussions with Julien about this seemed
promising).

I would say that requesting a build on the final commit in the topic
before submitting would be reasonable for external submissions. I have
a blog post I am hoping to post today (weird technical issue), and can
add some of this to a wiki page summarizing policy.

Marcus