[vtk-developers] git gerrit help

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 11:01:04 EDT 2013

Hi Dean,

If you've deleted your local topic branch, then the best way to start
is to check it out again from gerrit, e.g. by using the "check out"
link on the gerrit page:

git fetch http://review.source.kitware.com/p/VTK refs/changes/47/12247/1
git checkout FETCH_HEAD -b med-image-props-fix

Then you can amend it by:

1) editing the file(s)
2) "git add" the files
3) git commit --amend

The only thing that gerrit needs to identify the change is a
"Change-Id" line in the change log, which for this change is the
following:

Change-Id: Iccc5a31629d09a143e3712ba9c936528ef868afc

This is not a git SHA.  This is specific to gerrit.  So it is not
something that you can find by using git reflog or any other git
commands.  Whenever you amend a change, you must make sure
that the Change-Id in the commit stays the same.  The commit SHA
can change, but the gerrit Change-Id must stay the same.

If you ran VTK/Utilities/SetupForDevelopment.sh when you started
working with VTK git, then a Change-Id line should automatically be
added to each commit that you make.  If not, every time you revise a
change you should go to the gerrit page for that change to get the
Change-Id.

 David