[vtk-developers] gerrit - bug fix process

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Wed Aug 14 10:21:38 EDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Dean Inglis <inglis.dl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
> I am fairly new to using the gerrit review process to address a bug fix
> but am not a member of VTK-core group and have some questions:
>
> when sharing a topic:
> - who from the group should I assign to my topic ? (it might be useful to
> know
>   from Wiki/VTK/Git/Develop what areas of VTK those members are involved
> with)

Use git log --follow on the files you touch. The most recent couple of
authors are likely the best reviewers.

> - do I need to contact a group member first and ask their permission before
>   assignment ?

No!!!! Please do jump right in.

> - how many members should I assign to ?

Two two three seems to work well in my experience.

> in general:
> - is there a reasonable time expectation for topic reviews to be completed
> or
>   responded to ? (it might be useful if topics were categorized with time
> to review/completion
>   stats were available)

Not really. Depends on people's workload and style. If no one responds in a
week or two, bug the developer mailing list.

> - are bug fixes automatically incorporated into earlier branches / tags ?

No.

> thnx,
> Dean

Note: lots of this type of how to contribute type knowledge can be found in
the VTK Software Process document, which you can find here:
https://docs.google.com/a/kitware.com/document/d/1nzinw-dR5JQRNi_gb8qwLL5PnkGMK2FETlQGLr10tZw/view
The VTK web pages are being updated as we speak to make it more visible.

Thanks Dean!