[vtk-developers] OpenGL Extension loading with OSMesa?

burlen burlen.loring at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 12:26:38 EDT 2013

Hi Kathleen,

I need this functionality and am starting to work on it, it won't be
ready for vtk 6. I'm curious to see if anyone else is already working on
it. Please speak up if so.

I'm just digging in but my understanding is that VTK provides it's own
extension wrangler (Utilities/ParseOGLExt) for compile time creation of
headers (vtkgl.h), and an extension manager vtkOpenGLExtensionManager
for run time api to check the results. However, in the cmake code there
is logic such that when X11 is disabled or not present, the extension
wrangler/pareser is not run. Also like the previous post mentioned the
parser is not aware of OSMesaGetProcAddress, thus at run time the
extension manager knows nothing about the extensions os mesa provides.
So currently OSMesa without X11 means no extensions are available.

Burlen