[vtk-developers] OpenGL Extension loading with OSMesa?

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohio.edu
Mon Apr 15 20:04:53 EDT 2013

On 04/15/2013 05:32 PM, Kathleen S. Biagas wrote:
> Just wanted to ping the list again, see if anyone has an answer to
> Cyrus' question?
>
> Kathleen
>
> On Tue, 2013-03-05 at 14:07 -0800, Cyrus Harrison wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I have been hunting for quite a bit with no luck - so I am hoping the
>> experts can give me a ruling here:
>>
>> Looking at VTK-6 source from git, I was expecting to find
>> `OSMesaGetProcAddress' wired into the guts of VTK somewhere to support
>> OpenGL extensions for the OSMesa case.
>>
>> Does that logic exist or does OSMesa simply result in a configuration
>> that defines "VTK_NO_EXTENSION_LOADING"?

I'm one of the people who regularly tests and uses VTK built with
OSMesa.

However, I am no GL expert, I simply lurk on the Mesa dev list
report bugs, and learn when Brownian motion shoves data at my head.

Disclaimer aside, my understanding is that the only differences
between VTK's use of OSMesa, and it's use of GL in general. are
in the creation and destruction of the context and window.

Would the class vtkOpenGLExtensionManager :

http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkOpenGLExtensionManager.html

help at all?

Cyrus and Kathleen, the original question is very specific and
suggests some special knowledge of how OSMesa and GL work.

This may have made it hard for anybody to answer.

Do either of you have a more general concern about which the
crowd may be wise?