[vtk-developers] testsetget/emptyinput etc

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Fri Sep 28 17:32:15 EDT 2012

Most of the time, when the Tcl SetGet test fails on a new change, it is
that somebody has added a pointer ivar, and initialized it to "NULL" or 0,
and then it is accessed in a Get method without being checked.

This test helps to catch things like that, and usually, the correction is
just to add an "if ()" test that verifies the pointer is non-null before
dereferencing.

All VTK devs need to understand that methods are called (by various people
in the real world) in an order different than the one they expect. Just
because the new test that they wrote does it correctly doesn't mean anybody
else will.

This test helps to make all the methods robust no matter what order they
are called in.