[vtk-developers] New wiki pages on VTK 6 build system migration and module development

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Fri Sep 14 13:31:03 EDT 2012

Yes you can.

One way is to just copy the modules into VTK/*/*, and then CMake will
just think they are part of VTK. If you need to keep your modules
separate, you can alternatively call:
   vtk_add_to_module_search_path($srcdir $builddir)
to let VTK know where your external modules are. That is how Paraview
does it. In either case the libraries will be wrapped if VTK's modules
are.

Note that, at the moment you can not add modules to an installed VTK.
Marcus and Utkarsh have that on their todo list.

A related question is can I remove modules from VTK. As long as the
modules you want to get rid of are not depended upon by any of the
ones you have enabled, you can simply remove them from the VTK source.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive