[vtk-developers] The vtkTkRenderWidget in VTK 6

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Thu Sep 13 16:03:11 EDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 12:07 PM, David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com> wrote:
> The vtkTkRenderWidget patch is stuck in gerrit so I'm here on the list
> begging for reviewers.  I really want to get this into VTK and onto
> the dashboards before the 6.0 release.  There are tons of old but
> useful examples (in both Tcl and Python) that use the TkRenderWidget.
> There are also some currently de-activated tests that we can
> reactivate after this patch is merged.

What are those tests?

Why not just do that (re-activate those tests) as another commit at
the end of this topic branch?

> http://review.source.kitware.com/#/t/1118/
>
> I have to warn people in advance that the way that the CMake files
> find the Tcl/Tk libraries is fairly messy.  It looks like around five
> years ago someone moved the code that finds the Tcl and Tk libs
> into vtkWrapTcl.cmake, which worked fine with pre-modular VTK but
> messes things up now that everything is modular, it forces us to load
> vtkWrapTcl.cmake in odd places.  This is something that will have to
> be fixed eventually (not only for the Tcl libs, but for the Python
> libs as well) but it isn't something I'll have time to work on before
> the release.

Is there something wrong with the CMake-provided
FindTCL/FindTclsh/FindTclStub such that we can't just do this?

  find_package(TCL)
  find_package(Tclsh)
  find_package(TclStub)

If so, why don't we address those problems in the CMake release so VTK
can simplify its code? Or are there other things besides "finding"
that happen in vtkWrapTcl.cmake?