[vtk-developers] New wiki pages on VTK 6 build system migration and module development

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Thu Sep 13 15:01:41 EDT 2012

Hi,

I have spent some time writing a couple of new wiki pages to help
users of VTK find and link to VTK 6,

http://vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Build_System_Migration

I also wrote a page aimed at helping VTK developers when writing new modules,

http://vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Module_Development

Neither are entirely complete yet, but in the spirit of open source I
wanted to release early and get feedback as I complete them. My hope
is to provide a few high-level guides on the ways in which we expect
people to develop against VTK, and to develop new VTK modules.

If you have a chance please take a look at the pages, and let us know
if they are useful. It is a wiki, so please feel free to correct any
errors or extend the pages. I will try to keep an eye on the pages,
but will be out of the office until about Tuesday now. A lot of work
has gone into updating the VTK build system, and we would like to
ensure that it is easy for people to understand and use.

I think the level of CMake automation we have now is pretty amazing,
especially when it comes to the ease with which we can add and remove
modules. I have been wanting to write some guides about this for
months, but you know how developers are when it comes to writing
documentation...

It would be great to get a list of wishes from the community on areas
you would like more documentation on too as we prepare for the VTK 6
release.

Thanks,

Marcus