[vtk-developers] Is VTK_USE_METAIO still valid in VTK6?

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Sun Nov 4 13:12:42 EST 2012

On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> The vtkImageReader2Factory fails to register vtkMetaImageReader if
> VTK_USE_METAIO is not defined. In VTK6, VTK_USE_METAIO is only referenced in
> vtkToolkits.h.in and vtkImageReader2Factory.cxx.
>
> Should VTK_USE_METAIO be removed?
>
> My guess is that vtkImageReader2Factory needs to be rewritten to use the new
> factory pattern.

Hi Bill,

It looks like I missed that one, but yes any remaining VTK_USE_ should
be evaluated as a module should not change its API or implementation
based on compile flags. There are several exceptions to this in
rendering where things were too tightly coupled to separate without a
big rewrite (and little gain).

The approach we took with the SQL modules should work well here
shouldn't it? I am guessing that is what you mean by new factory
pattern.

Marcus