[vtk-developers] HDF5-related link error with VTK 5.10

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Tue May 15 20:42:05 EDT 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 8:20 PM, Sean McBride <sean at rogue-research.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I guess I should have played with the rc's earlier... :)
>
> Currently my app links against 5.8.  If try with 5.10 instead, the first thing I notice is that I have missing symbols when linking.

Which symbols specifically?

> This is solved by linking to libvtkhdf5, which now seems to be a dependency of something else.

see:
OPTION(NETCDF_ENABLE_NETCDF4 "Build netcdf version 4 API" ON)
The default setting of this new config item makes vtknetcdf4 depend on
hdf5, including hdf5's hl library (which is now turned on when it
wasn't before).

If you change the setting to off, the dependency goes away, the need
for the hl library goes away and it behaves like it used to in 5.8.

Note also that in either case you are able to use an external hdf5,
assuming you have hl turned on in that when enable_netcdf4 is on.

> But it so happens that my app is already linking (statically) to an HDF5 library.  Now I have this link error:
>
> ld: duplicate symbol _H5libhdf5_settings in /Users/sean/RogueSVNWorkingCopy1/3rdParty/HDF5/Debug/lib/libhdf5.a(H5Tinit.o) and /Users/sean/RogueSVNWorkingCopy1/3rdParty/vtk/Debug/lib/vtk-5.10/libvtkhdf5.a(H5lib_settings.c.o) for architecture x86_64
>
> Looking at vtk_libhdf5_mangle.h I see that this line is commented out:
>
> //#define H5libhdf5_settings vtk__H5libhdf5_settings

Not I, but it's been that way since at least 2010-12-08, or before 5.8.0.