[vtk-developers] HDF5-related link error with VTK 5.10

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Tue May 15 20:20:20 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I guess I should have played with the rc's earlier... :)

Currently my app links against 5.8.  If try with 5.10 instead, the first thing I notice is that I have missing symbols when linking.  This is solved by linking to libvtkhdf5, which now seems to be a dependency of something else.

But it so happens that my app is already linking (statically) to an HDF5 library.  Now I have this link error:

ld: duplicate symbol _H5libhdf5_settings in /Users/sean/RogueSVNWorkingCopy1/3rdParty/HDF5/Debug/lib/libhdf5.a(H5Tinit.o) and /Users/sean/RogueSVNWorkingCopy1/3rdParty/vtk/Debug/lib/vtk-5.10/libvtkhdf5.a(H5lib_settings.c.o) for architecture x86_64

Looking at vtk_libhdf5_mangle.h I see that this line is commented out:

//#define H5libhdf5_settings vtk__H5libhdf5_settings

That's odd.  Anyone know why?

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com