[vtk-developers] DoublePi proposal

Andrew Maclean andrew.amaclean at gmail.com
Tue May 15 18:47:14 EDT 2012

Hi Bill, David,
  As one of you pointed out earlier, the VTK Parametric classes will be
affected by this change. In particular, the regression tests will
fail due to the higher precision of Pi. I would only expect that the
pictures for the regression tests would need to be updated.

When I wrote these in conjunction with Will, I must admit I was frustrated
that vtkMath::Pi only returned float. However I made a decision to use
vtkMath::Pi rather than yet another constant for Pi in the hopes that this
would change in the future. The greater precision should improve the look
of some of the surfaces. E.g. the little imperfection at the pole of the
ellipsoid should get smaller.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

When things settle, I will also update the PDF titled "Parametric Equations
for Surfaces" in the documentation to VTK 6.

Regards
   Andrew

Andrew J. P. Maclean