[vtk-developers] DoublePi proposal

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Mon May 14 18:38:37 EDT 2012

Bill, the main reason that I put my patch on hold was that I wanted to
wait until VTK 6 had reached at least the same level of test coverage
as VTK 5.  I still think that this is a valid reason for keeping this
patch on hold.  The added pi precision will cause subtle changes in
many regression images, and some of the changes will be significant
enough to cause test failures.  That's great if all the regression
tests are running, because we can examine any test failures that occur
and replace the regression images as necessary.

But right now in VTK 6, about half of our regression tests aren't
running.  So if this Pi patch is pushed now, we won't see all the
regression test failures immediately.  We'll see some regression test
failures some weeks (or months?) later as the various tests are
re-activated, and we won't be sure if the failures were caused by this
patch, or if they were caused by some other patch.

 - David