[vtk-developers] Modularization, Context2D and Tcl

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 19:33:59 EDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Marcus D. Hanwell
<marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM, David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for the explanations.
>>
>> So... to piggy back on while we're making rather large changes anyway... :-)
>>
>> Would it make sense to rename the classes vtk2DHistogramItem,
>> vtk3DSImporter and vtk3DWidget while we're at it? Just to avoid future
>> problems as reported by David Gobbi's ruby wrapping fellow?
>>
>> Eventually, a namespace-enclosed set of VTK classes without the "vtk"
>> prefix could be possible. But not if some of them start with numbers
>> like those three.
>>
> If we were worried about legacy/keeping things simple for moves to VTK
> 6 we could rename the classes, but provide an empty class deriving
> from the renamed classes with the old names couldn't we? That class
> could be enclosed in a legacy remove ifdef, and excluded from
> wrapping. That might at least provide a path forward without too much
> work for us, for the class I wrote with a bad name I am willing to
> rename it.

That sound sensible to me.  But remember that the problem that we're
trying to solve, i.e. avoiding impossibilities like vtk::3DWidget, is
still just a hypothetical problem.  We definitely want to avoid the
proliferation of names like this, but at the same time, I don't think
it's worth going to a lot of effort to remove the ones that already
exist.

 - David