[vtk-developers] Modularization, Context2D and Tcl

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Wed Mar 28 19:10:28 EDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 1:31 PM, David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the explanations.
>
> So... to piggy back on while we're making rather large changes anyway... :-)
>
> Would it make sense to rename the classes vtk2DHistogramItem,
> vtk3DSImporter and vtk3DWidget while we're at it? Just to avoid future
> problems as reported by David Gobbi's ruby wrapping fellow?
>
> Eventually, a namespace-enclosed set of VTK classes without the "vtk"
> prefix could be possible. But not if some of them start with numbers
> like those three.

If we were worried about legacy/keeping things simple for moves to VTK
6 we could rename the classes, but provide an empty class deriving
from the renamed classes with the old names couldn't we? That class
could be enclosed in a legacy remove ifdef, and excluded from
wrapping. That might at least provide a path forward without too much
work for us, for the class I wrote with a bad name I am willing to
rename it.

Marcus