[vtk-developers] Modularization, Context2D and Tcl

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 15:45:14 EDT 2012

On a related note, every Windows user I have suggested VTK to has gone
to this page:
http://vtk.org/VTK/resources/software.html#latest2

and been extremely confused about what they get with the "Windows
(Installer) : vtk-5.8.0-win32-x86.exe". I just downloaded and
installed it on a Windows machine, and when I run "VTK" from the start
menu (the only thing that appears to be an option), I get a blank
terminal window and a blank gray widget with no further
instructions/explanation - indeed very confusing!

My understanding is that this is some sort of TCL-only binary package?
My suggestion would be to remove this from the download page entirely,
or at least bury it so it is not the first thing you see and so it
doesn't look like what you should download as a new user. It should be
immediately clear that VTK is intended to be used as a library, not a
standalone application.

David