[vtk-developers] Why bug #12151 not fixed?

Cory Quammen cquammen at cs.unc.edu
Thu Jun 14 11:15:34 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Piotr Domagalski
<piotr.domagalski at man.poznan.pl> wrote:
> On 06/14/12 16:41, Cory Quammen wrote:
>>
>> When a bug isn't fixed, it's because no one has had the time or money
>> to implement the fix.
>

> Hi Cory,
>
> I completely agree. The thing is that the particular bug report already has
> got a patch, sent by the reporter. It is available in the bug tracking
> system.

Sadly, it's not often that people go through the bug tracker and
harvest patches, so unfortunately the bug tracker is where good bug
reports and patches go into exile for sometimes years until someone
comes along with the motivation to push it into the repository.

> My intention, when posting this question, was to ask whether the patch
> wasn't applied because it might cause some other problems (it works for me)
> or just simply that no one managed to take a closer look at it.

Understood. I don't know the answer for this particular patch, but
that's where the review process in gerrit and regression testing is
supposed to come in. You can invite the authors of the file to review
the patch and hopefully they will provide feedback on whether it will
break something. You can use 'git blame --follow' to identify good
reviewers.

Let me know if you are interested in pushing this patch to gerrit and
I'll help you with any problems you might encounter along the way.

Best,
Cory

--
Cory Quammen