[vtk-developers] vtkChemistry review

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Fri Jan 20 11:11:37 EST 2012

Hi David,

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 10:51 AM, David Lonie <loniedavid at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'd like to put up a reminder about the vtkChemistry kit I submitted
> to Gerrit last August as part of my GSoC project. It is still pending
> review. Is there a developer group I should request review from on
> Gerrit? I've received a couple inquiries from interested users, and
> I'm not sure what to tell them in regards to a timeframe when the code
> will be ready.

This is largely on me, and the largest delay has been in the vtkVector
related work. I think that has been satisfactorily resolved, although
that does mean that we need to refactor your topic to depend on the
new vtkVector functionality instead of adding the API in the topic
itself.

> For reference, the patches are here:
> http://review.source.kitware.com/#/q/project:VTK+topic:vtkChemistry,n,z
> I've made an effort to keep each patch small and easily digestible for
> review -- if there's anything else I can do to make the reviews
> easier, please let me know.

You could drop the vtkVector related changes, and create an updated
topic depending on current VTK master. This is the next thing I need
to do once I find the time.

> On a related note, I've been asked specifically about vtkChemistry
> bindings for scripting languages. I assume these are generated
> automatically? Or should I add/modify a SWIG configuration file
> somewhere?

VTK generates bindings automatically, we do not use SWIG - we have our
own wrapper generators. There are some manual code changes you would
need to make in order to enable binding for a new module - I have not
yet verified whether these were in your patch. Much of this has
changed in VTK modular, and so it may not be worth spending much time
on this as we complete the modularization work.

I was hoping to have this merged sooner, I think it is in a state
where it can be merged soon. I have certainly talked to people about
this work too, and would like to get it in soon so that a larger
portion of the community can benefit from it.

Thanks,

Marcus