[vtk-developers] Why wasn't vtkCellArray in vtkPolyData designed similar to vtkCellLinks?

Mingcheng Chen linyufly at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 19:26:51 EST 2012

Hi all,

Currently, without vtkCellTypes we cannot randomly access cell in poly data
because there is no uniform "entry length" in vtkCellArray (cells may have
different number of connectivities).

However, vtkCellLinks can support random access for every point, because it
uses local linked list in each entry.

Why wasn't vtkCellArray designed like vtkCellLinks? If so, we can deal with
only three arrays instead of four.

Could anyone please help me with that puzzle? What is the advantage of the
current design?

Thanks!

Best regards,
Mingcheng Chen