[vtk-developers] [EXTERNAL] Re: vtksys_ios:: versus std::

David Thompson dcthomp at sandia.gov
Mon Feb 6 21:36:06 EST 2012

On Feb 6, 2012, at 14:00 , Brad King wrote:
> On 2/6/2012 4:55 PM, Bill Lorensen wrote:
>> We replaced vtkstd:: with std::
>> As part of the modernization of VTK, should we replace vtksys_ios::
>> with std:: ?
> That sounds like a good idea if it is possible.

I agree; thanks for bringing this up, Bill.

> Many of the uses of vtksys_ios:: are to refer to ostringstream.
> KWSys provides a compatibility implementation to simulate modern
> stringstream classes on compilers that have only the old strstream.
> I do not know if we have dropped support for all such compilers.

As far as GCC goes, stringstream got moved into std in gcc-3.2. I
believe gcc-2.9x support got cut at the same time as MSVC6, 7, & 7.1.

I'm less sure about when the format specifiers (e.g., std::ios::hex)
and stream status values (e.g., std::ios::badbit) moved into std (or
whether they always were there, in addition to being declared in
std::ios_base or std::ios).

It would be nice if we had a list of compilers that are currently
supported so we could verify how stringstream behaves on each.
However, I've looked and don't see a list for VTK anywhere. Other than
the collection of nightly builds for CDash (which doesn't really
document compiler versions so much as platforms), is there a list? The
closest I can find is

   http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/ARB/Meetings/November_2009
   http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/ARB/Meetings/January_2010

which says there *will* be a list, but here

   http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtk-developers/2010-August/008447.html

is the only place I've seen a list and that appears to be before VC6
support was dropped.

	David