[vtk-developers] ANN: VTK moving to topic reviews in Gerrit on Wednesday

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Thu Feb 2 17:30:19 EST 2012

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Marcus D. Hanwell
<marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Marcus D. Hanwell
> <marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> wrote:

>>> We will begin the process at 9am EST.  It should be completed by noon
>>> unless there are unforeseen problems.
>>
>> The modifications have been completed.  We have updated the main VTK
>> Git instructions:
>>
>> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Git
>>
>> for the new workflow. Gerrit is now the main entry point for changes
>> to go in master. The topic stage is dead, long live Gerrit!
>>
>> We will be bringing the automated build testing for topics online this
>> afternoon for VTK, and hope to have this working by the end of the day
>> for new VTK submissions. This will be for members of the VTK-core
>> group. Any existing changes in Gerrit review can be marked as +2 for
>> code review and then submitted to have it merged. Alternatively, if
>> you need to modify/extend the topic pushing will create a new topic
>> for review.
>>
> The automated testing is now on, and there are a few test builds. The
> link is provided as a comment authored by the Kitware Robot providing
> a link to a filtered set of CDash results in the topic submitted. See
> http://review.source.kitware.com/#/t/18/ for an example, unfortunately
> the content checks tend to be submitted a little later and so it is
> not always the most recent comment.

I wanted to update the status here - Brad has been improving the
content checks to automatically fail commits with WIP: in the commit
message, thus preserving the previous behavior where those commits
must be rewritten and WIP: removed before they can be merged. We also
have warnings for whitespace errors - it would be good to clean these
up and fix them before submitting changes.

Chris has updated Gerrit today to sort on topic update time, along
with only showing changes that are not part of a topic in the change
view. You can also view all open topics for a particular project now,

http://review.source.kitware.com/#/q/entity:topic%20status:open,n,z
http://review.source.kitware.com/#/q/entity:topic%20status:open+project:VTK,n,z

The second link is only for VTK. You may have noticed George pushed a
very large topic to Gerrit, and this only has one entry in the topics.
The build test comments are made with links in the topic level review,
for example,

http://review.source.kitware.com/#/t/21/
http://review.source.kitware.com/#/t/20/

The filtered CDash results link should show a build on Windows, Linux
and Mac. Builds are submitted for topic tips, extending a topic or
editing commits in a topic and pushing updates will both trigger new
builds. I wonder if we should differentiate between the two robots in
order to make it easier to scan, or at least delay the comment from
the build robot so that it shows up second as the content checks are
reflected in the Verified field.

The robot script is still being updated, and so may be offline at
times. I hope to have it in place and consistently available by
Monday, we are also looking at better ways to trigger builds for
people not in the VTK-core group and for when the robot does not
successfully trigger a build.

As before, please let us know if you hit any issues.

Marcus