[vtk-developers] Wrapping/Tools

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 16:52:32 EDT 2012

> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 4:19 PM, Marcus D. Hanwell
> <marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> wrote:
>
>> I think in this case you should be able to do what I suggested,
>>
>> if(vtkWrappingTools_ENABLED)
>>   do_wrap_hierarchy()
>> endif()
>>
>> If the wrapping tools module was enabled, that probably means
>> something wants the hierarchy files too in order to wrap the VTK
>> modules. This seems like a reasonable exception where you can change
>> it, at the point when modules are build the module is either on or off
>> and so this would work reliably.
>>
>> You could make whatever check you had for wrapped languages collapse
>> down into the above if (as they will all depend upon/enable the
>> wrapping tools module). Sorry if I was unclear earlier.

I could do that, but I'd thought that "if(vtkWrappingTools_ENABLED)" was
really just a last-choice solution.  But I do see it being used in a
couple other places in VTK.

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 2:27 PM, David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com> wrote:
> Maybe this is a dumb question, but why isn't "do_wrap_hierarchy" (or
> whatever it represents as a pseudo-code concept in this email) just in the
> WrappingTools module anyhow?

For the same reason that do_wrap_python etc. are still activated by
the VTK_WRAP_PYTHON variables and are still in vtkWrapping.cmake,
I guess.  It's because the scripts that do the wrapping aren't within
the modules.

 - David