[vtk-developers] Wrapping/Tools

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Thu Aug 16 16:32:54 EDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 4:27 PM, David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 4:19 PM, Marcus D. Hanwell
> <marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 3:59 PM, David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > We can always add a VTK_WRAP_HIERARCHY cmake option if we
>> > can't think of anything more elegant :)
>> >
>> > In any case, I can merge what I've got.
>> >
>> I think in this case you should be able to do what I suggested,
>>
>> if(vtkWrappingTools_ENABLED)
>>   do_wrap_hierarchy()
>> endif()
>>
>> If the wrapping tools module was enabled, that probably means
>> something wants the hierarchy files too in order to wrap the VTK
>> modules. This seems like a reasonable exception where you can change
>> it, at the point when modules are build the module is either on or off
>> and so this would work reliably.
>>
>> You could make whatever check you had for wrapped languages collapse
>> down into the above if (as they will all depend upon/enable the
>> wrapping tools module). Sorry if I was unclear earlier.
>>
> Maybe this is a dumb question, but why isn't "do_wrap_hierarchy" (or
> whatever it represents as a pseudo-code concept in this email) just in the
> WrappingTools module anyhow?

It has to be done for each module to be wrapped, so it is called after
a module's library is added. One thing we could do in future (I made a
start, but didn't finish) is apply wrap hierarchy, python wrapping etc
after the modules are built using the vtk module export files that we
write out for external wrapping tools such as ParaView's client server
wrapping.

We collect all modules to be wrapped in a global property, they could
then be wrapped in whatever way necessary later if they took the
module export files as a starting point.

Marcus