[vtk-developers] ANN: VTK modularization - merging this Monday

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Mon Apr 9 17:24:58 EDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Aashish Chaudhary
<aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com> wrote:

>> What is your question? Views/Infovis is not in StandAlone because it
>> needs Boost. This is due to vtkPipelineGraphSource, although taking a
>> look that class does not seem to be used by anything else in views. I
>> will prepare a patch to move it, and can then remove the dependency.
>> Is that your issue, that you would like to remove the Boost dependency
>> from views?
>
> In short, yes I would recommend we remove the Boost dependency for
> Views/Infovis and move vtkPipelineGraphSource somewhere else.
>
> Basically View/Infovis should not need Boost other than the reason you
> mentioned, also since we have this CMake flag "Module_vtkInfovisBoost",
> then vtkPipelineGraphSource should be built only when I
> set Module_vtkInfovisBoost to ON.

I think you misunderstand the flag - that is to build that module but
other modules can depend on Boost too. If we move that class to
InfovisBoostAlgorithms it will make that depend on ViewsCore, but I
agree that keeping the Boost dependency out of the standard Views
modules is important.

Marcus