[vtk-developers] ANN: VTK modularization - merging this Monday

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Mon Apr 9 12:02:31 EDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 11:58 AM, David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 9:53 AM, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com> wrote:
>> On 4/9/2012 11:47 AM, David Gobbi wrote:
>>>
>>> error: The following untracked working tree files would be overwritten
>>> by checkout:
>>>        Utilities/KWSys/CMakeLists.txt
>>>
>>> The file in question was not removed by the following commit, should
>>> it have been?
>>> c13ff7ba Remove monolithic VTK files not used after modularization
>>

>> It is moved to Utilities/KWSys/vtksys/CMakeLists.txt by the next
>> commit after that.  Then the "Add" commit adds a new one in the
>> old location with different content.
>>
>> The modularization transition touches a huge number of files.
>> Do not try to pull it into a tree with local mods.
>
> My tree had no local mods.  Perhaps my git has bugs (git version 1.7.5.1).
> When I merged each new commit individually, instead of using "git pull",
> everything worked perfectly.

That is really odd, I did a git pull on the Mac using Snow Leopard,
case insensitive normal file system and git 1.7.9. I also tried the
same on Windows 7, NTFS and git 1.7.4 without issue. It should not be
necessary to individually merge the new commits, and on Linux the
paths are normally distinct due to the case sensitive file system.

Marcus