[vtk-developers] Update on VTK modularization progress

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Tue Sep 27 14:09:06 EDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 2:00 PM, tom fogal <tfogal at sci.utah.edu> wrote:
> Eeek, I didn't know the modularization effort included a rework of how GL
> worked.  You might be interested in commits like these:

There is no rework - a little factoring to remove GL dependence in the
core rendering classes, and then a change to how the classes returned
in the static New methods are returned.

> https://gitorious.org/visit-vtk/visit-vtk/commit/a8f227626619cb3355ae130bfd2b2b17c8c5bd22/diffs
>
> https://gitorious.org/visit-vtk/visit-vtk/commit/49d013d02304c867ac246f3744e6e4b0d9e25ff3

These changes are related, but orthogonal. The Rendering/Core must not
depend on/link to any OpenGL libraries. The Rendering/OpenGL module
then links to OpenGL, and ensures the more derived OpenGL forms of the
relevant classes are returned when I instantiate vtkRenderWindow for
example.

> and there are many more in
>
>   https://gitorious.org/visit-vtk/visit-vtk/commits/5.8
>
> I didn't do very well with the build system though, I'd bet you've done a
> better job with that.
>
> In any case, we should coordinate ... I want to get commits like the above
> into VTK proper so that we don't have to hold on to them indefinitely, and
> it sounds like we have similar goals.

I had intended to approach you (and remember previous discussions we
had on this subject). The new modular layout should make integration
of changes like this simpler. Please take a look at the layout, I will
try to write up a high level overview of these changes in the near
future but wanted to get some code down and some tests working before
going into too much detail.

Thanks for the feedback.

Marcus