[vtk-developers] BUG: Translation mode needs to be set for PlaceWidget to ensure that user setting is passed through.

Shashwath T.R. trshash at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 05:25:56 EDT 2011

Hi all,

My colleagues and I found a small bug in vtkPointHandleRepresentation3D,
which prevents its behavior from mimicking the behavior of vtkPointWidget
from the old widgets hierarchy. Basically, if TranslationMode is set to
False from outside, and PlaceWidget is called, the crosshair should be
placed at the center of the bounds passed to PlaceWidget. If TranslationMode
is true, the bounds should be translated to fit around the position.

In vtkPointHandleRepresentation3D, the current behavior is that this
property is not set to the Cursor3D instance until the first interaction.
Thus, it's impossible to set TranslationMode to false (which is our case)
before the first interaction. The fix is simple: In PlaceWidget, we update
the Cursor3D object with the appropriate translation mode.

The changes are published here:
http://review.source.kitware.com/#change,3106

Thanks and Regards,
Shash