[vtk-developers] reviewers to add?

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Tue Oct 11 14:06:58 EDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 1:55 PM, tom fogal <tfogal at sci.utah.edu> wrote:
> "Marcus D. Hanwell" <marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> writes:

>> > Yeah, I found the ITK one but it was course not much use for VTK.
>>
>> I will see about putting together a similar list for VTK.
>
> Thanks!
>
>> I will try to dig into some of your patches and assign appropriate
>> reviewers/review them. I am certainly not a bad choice for some of
>> the rendering changes.
>
> I actually abandoned all the rendering changes.  I'm planning on
> redoing them after you merge in your 'vtkmodular' branch, since that
> moves most of the files I touch into a Rendering/OpenGL/ directory.

Sounds like a reasonable plan.

>> We have an internal test Gerrit server where we can do some build
>> testing on topics in much the same was as ITK on commits. I am
>> hoping to get this ready to be rolled out in the next few weeks to
>> streamline the build testing side of this. I will grab the branch and
>> push it there to see how well it builds.
>
> Oh, oops; I have been dropping large swathes of changes, and don't
> really have any big branches left.  All of the large sets of changes
> had a variety of states, from 'ready to ship' to 'eh, this compiles on
> Linux and Mac and seems to work for us...'  At present time, you might
> try the 'visit-ready' topic.

See this test build that tests that topic branch. I think we would
prefer largely ready-to-ship topic branches on Gerrit, and breaking
them up can certainly give us a nice focused set addressing one or two
topics.

> I'm still not entirely sure how to get people motivated to take a look
> at code, here.  As you saw with your modular branch, "take a look
> at this branch on gitorious" doesn't get much review.  Posting to
> gerrit gets some, but I seem to overwhelm people if I post an entire
> branch.  Doesn't seem like there's a method to vet WIP code... maybe
> individually posting patches to the ML?

All of us have several projects, and this is a busy time of year, but
posting in progress here with links to Gerrit/Gitorious/Github is
probably the best approach. I have quite a bit of interest in the best
way to improve our rendering for example, but only so much time in a
week.

I will continue to post updates so that people have the opportunity to
take a look. When the patches are ready getting them in a stable,
tight topic is very helpful. We can then do build testing, clean them
up and address any issues.

Hopefully this makes things clearer. I can likely find other people to
review some of the rendering changes once they are ready too. I will
keep you guys up to date with the other work I am doing.

Thanks,

Marcus