[vtk-developers] Warnings in vtkfreetype

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Nov 23 12:31:21 EST 2011

On 11/23/2011 11:59 AM, Sean McBride wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 11:22:22 -0500, Bill Lorensen said:
>
>>Could you take a look at the warnings in ftbitmap.c
>>http://www.cdash.org/CDash/viewBuildError.php?type=1&buildid=1752417

I happened to fix that this morning:

  http://vtk.org/gitweb?p=VTK.git;a=commitdiff;h=dfa8d922

> Fixing the dashboard warnings requires diverging from the
> version of freetype used, which complicates future merges
> of newer freetypes.

It isn't very hard to do updates if you use an approach like
that I use for HDF5:

  http://vtk.org/gitweb?p=VTK.git;a=blob;f=Utilities/vtkhdf5/README-VTK.txt;hb=dfa8d922

Basically the original 3rd party code is kept unmodified in
a special branch and merged into VTK's tree.  Fixes to it
for our dashboard can be committed directly like any other
changes.  Later when the 3rd party code is updated, the new
version can be committed on the special branch and merged
again.  That way we merge the two paths of changes instead
of overwriting our version with theirs.

-Brad