[vtk-developers] VTK modularization: initial pass at new modules

David Thompson dcthomp at sandia.gov
Thu Mar 10 15:22:05 EST 2011

Hi Marcus,

I'm glad to see the modularization work moving along. It looks neat.
There are a few comments/questions below.

> I have linked to a manifest file, this contains an early pass at
> creating new VTK modules, as part of the VTK modularization project.
> https://github.com/cryos/vtk-modularization/blob/master/manifest.txt
>
> ... We are
> planning on using two levels, with no modules in the first level and
> only one word being allowed for top levels so that it is easy to
> distinguish what the top level part of a library name is. ...
>
> ... None of the names or
> mappings are set in stone, and we welcome your input ...

1. Core/Core is awkward. How about Basic/{Core, DataModel,
ExecutionModel, ImplicitFunctions, Math, Misc, System, Transforms}?

2. Filtering/Filtering is not descriptive. How about Filtering/General
or Filtering/Misc?

3. Is all of Views is being placed under Infovis/Views? This doesn't
seem right; the view & representation abstraction should be a kit-wide
strategy, not something reserved for infovis. Maybe Views/Core (with
the base classes and RenderView?) and Views/Infovis are in order?

4. You said all the kits would be in a 2-deep hierarchy, but several
appear at the top layer: AMR, TextAnalysis, Geovis. Should those be
AMR/Core, TextAnalysis/Core, Geovis/Core?

5. How will include files be handled? Will it be #include <VTK/Core/
Core/vtkAbstractArray.h> or #include <vtkAbstractArray.h> or something
else? Even though it's longer, I prefer the former because it greatly
simplifies the compiler command lines which makes them much easier to
parse when debugging issues that require manually running the compiler.

	Thanks,
	David