[vtk-developers] VTK on iOS

Sason Ohanian Saki sason at kth.se
Wed Mar 2 10:58:15 EST 2011

Hello!

I am a CS/Engineering student from KTH, Stockholm, Sweden and I have just started to work on my masters thesis which is to investigate whether VTK or parts of VTK can be run on an iPad/iOS and to make the necessary implementations.

I have spent some time reading through some documentation, the wiki, looking at code etc. From what I understand so far it should be possible and what primarily needs to be done is to make new openGL(ES) implementations, renderer for CocaTouch, editing/extending some factory classes etc...

I have just gotten started and I am having some trouble with CMake and building VTK. I have little familiarity with CMake and I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction (or any direction) of building VTK for the iPad. Please bare with me if my questions seems stupid, but here they come...

How do I use CMake to build VTK for iPad/iOS? Will I need to edit the CMake files to add information to be able to build for a new platform? I am referring to for example VTK_USE_COCOA and references to openGL, Im assuming some code needs to be added to handle Cocoa Touch and OpenGL ES.

Should I invest in the books "VTK User's Guide" and/or "Mastering CMake"? Will they be of significance in helping me to do what i want to do? (I´m on a tight budget).

Any kind of help is much appreciated, like links to documentation or literature that could be useful.

/Sason