[vtk-developers] VTK GSOC Project - Tick label positioning implementation update

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Sat Jul 2 07:56:44 EDT 2011

Tharindu-

Sorry for being dense, but I have a couple of questions:

1. Where can we see the current version of your code, in particular the API
for controlling it.

2. As a sanity check, can you provide additional examples, or point me to
examples, of the eight formats below? In particular, when there is more than
one significant digit is the result as obvious as I think it is....is
5,500,000 5.5(M) and so forth?

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Tharindu De Silva <tsameera1 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>        I am implementing the paper "An Extension of Wilkinson’s Algorithm
> for Positioning Tick Labels on Axes" published in VisWeek 2010 as part of
> the Goole Summer of Code Project (GSOC) in VTK. This will replace the
> functionality of current CalculateNiceMInMax() method in vtkAxis class.  I
> have done most of the implementation and would like to receive help and
> feedback from the community to integrate the new class to the current VTK
> framework.  The main highlights of this work are;
>
>   1 )  Introducing an optimization-based method to calculate tick label
> positions.  (This will improve the current positioning of the tick labels)
>   2 )  If the algorithm fails to find a good positioning scheme, as a last
> resort it will try to find optimum tick labels by reducing the font size,
> changing the orientation of the fonts (from horizontal to vertical) and
> changing the label formats.
>  3  )  Currently,  there are two label formats supported in the API. (i.e.
> standard and scientific).  This has been extended  to eight different
> formats in the paper as follows.
>
>      1 - Decimal e.g. 5000
>      2 - Factored Decimals e.g. 5 (thousands)
>      3 - Thousands K e.g. 5K
>      4 - Factored K e.g. 5(K)
>      5 - Millions M e.g. 5M
>      6 - Factored M e.g. 5(M)
>      7 - Scientific 5 * 10^6
>      8 - Factored Scientific 5 (10^6)
>
>    Currently, there is no method in vtkAxis class that automatically
> changes the font size, orientation and format of the tick labels based on
> data.  I would like to get your feedback about the readability of the above
> formats and get your comments on my code to integrate this work to the
> current repository.
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Tharindu

William J. Schroeder, PhD