[vtk-developers] [VTK 0012328]: 'Show grid lines' for axes display draws lines outside bounding box on two axes

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Fri Jul 1 16:52:15 EDT 2011

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
http://paraview.org/Bug/view.php?id=12328
Reported By:                Jeff Mauldin
Assigned To:
Project:                    VTK
Issue ID:                   12328
Category:                   (No Category)
Reproducibility:            have not tried
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             2011-07-01 16:52 EDT
When you display the cube axis, and then go to the Edit Cube Axes Properties
box, and turn on Show Grid Lines, the behavior is incorrect.  For the X-Axis it
seems to be okay.  However, for the Y and Z Axes, the grid lines are drawn much
beyond the range of the bounding box described by the cube axes lines.

To demonstrate, simply start up paraview, create a cone source, turn on Show
Cube Axes (in the Annotation section of the Display tab), hit the Edit button to
bring up Edit Cube Axes Properties, go to the Y-Axis tab, select the Show Grid
Lines check box, and hit okay.  Same problem for the Z-Axis.  okay for X-Axis.

I suspect the error is connected with the following code in vtkCubeAxesActor.cxx
in the method vtkCubeAxesActor::ComputeTickSize

  double xExt = 20; //bounds[1] - bounds[0];
  double yExt = bounds[3] - bounds[2];
  double zExt = bounds[5] - bounds[4];

although I haven't yet tried changing, I'm wondering why xExt is arbitrarily set
to 20 rather than using the bounds.

This also, I think affects the tick mark length in a bad way.

I'm attaching state file.

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change