[vtk-developers] create a widget vs the camera

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Wed Jan 26 06:38:31 EST 2011

It sounds to me like the widget you created is observing / capturing all
events, even the ones that are not meant for your new widget (i.e., events
never propagate to the vtkRenderWindowInteractor and its style class e.g.
vtkInteractorStyleJoystickCamera or equivalent). Yes, new widgets have to
specify which events they process, and then process them appropriately.

Why are you not using vtkHandleWidget and vtkPointHandleRepresentation3D or
something similar? These are typically used to move points around.

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 4:56 AM, youpie <meriadegp at yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I created a widget to animate some points in my scene. So The widget herit
> from vtkWidget3d.
> But now it's done i have the interaction between other actor and my widget
> as I want but I lost the manipulation of my scene.
> Before the widget, when I do the minimum to draw an objet, I can move the
> scene around it. But now I added the widget, I can't move the scene.
>
> So do i have to implement by myself these movement in the widget classes ?
> If I compare to the vtkBoxWidget of vtkPointWidget, I see they implement
> Translate and Rotate and scale.
> I didn't do that beacause I thank that was not necessary.
>
> An idea ?

William J. Schroeder, PhD
Kitware, Inc.
28 Corporate Drive