[vtk-developers] VTK Modularization

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Mon Jan 24 16:27:25 EST 2011

Hi,

In February we will begin the process of modularizing VTK, and
creating finer grained, more focused kits. This proposal is discussed
on the following wiki page,

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Modularization_Proposal

The number of kits will increase in VTK, allowing developers to link
to a much finer grained portion of VTK. Some of the work we have been
doing with Titan, ITK, and in conjunction with the Boost community, to
create more dynamic build systems will be employed here. Our existing
build system will be updated to use some of the new features in CMake,
allowing the easy addition of kits, and building only a subset of the
VTK.

Over the coming weeks as we start to work on the modularization of VTK
we will post to this list with more details, such as proposed mappings
of existing classes into new kits. Initially all modularization work
will take place in a separate branch outside of master. Once it is
ready to be pushed we will sync any source level changes from VTK
master, and announce the date the modularized VTK will be merged into
master.

I would like to get those interested in the modularization thinking
about the classes they know best, and where they might move. Once we
have a list of proposed moves I will post it and seek feedback. If we
miss any classes that you feel should be moved that would be a good
time to raise those issues too.

Marcus
--
Marcus D. Hanwell, Ph.D.