[vtk-developers] Trailing whitespace checks removed

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Jan 24 14:36:21 EST 2011

On 01/24/2011 02:07 PM, Brad King wrote:
> Our local pre-commit hook rejects some whitespace sequences like tab-in-indent
> and trailing whitespace.  The checks are not enforced on the server, but our
> workflow asks everyone to use the local checks.
>
> After evaluating feedback we've decided to allow trailing whitespace as
> explained in these commit messages:
>
>   http://vtk.org/gitweb?p=VTK.git;a=commitdiff;h=ee8cc207
>   http://paraview.org/gitweb?p=ParaView.git;a=commitdiff;h=af8a911f
>
> Anyone that starts new topics after these commits will get the updated rules.
> Your current topics will still see the check because they do not have the new
> .gitattributes entries from these commits.

For those that *do* want this check it is possible to re-enable locally:

$ echo '
*.c              whitespace=tab-in-indent
*.h              whitespace=tab-in-indent
*.cxx            whitespace=tab-in-indent
*.hxx            whitespace=tab-in-indent
*.txx            whitespace=tab-in-indent
*.txt            whitespace=tab-in-indent
*.cmake          whitespace=tab-in-indent
' >> .git/info/attributes

Note that this *overrides* the whitespace attribute set in .gitattributes
so this will prevent you from getting further changes later.  You should
check back occasionally with the "official" .gitattributes to update
your local whitespace attributes.

-Brad