[vtk-developers] My blunder => master rewritten

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Jan 13 19:41:15 EST 2011

Hi Folks,

This afternoon I made a blunder while tweaking the server-side script
that implements the VTK Topic Stage.  It ended up producing 2 merge
commits to master that had commit messages over 1MB!  Git tools do not
deal well with such messages so I had no choice but to rewind master.
To remedy the situation I re-merged the two topics for which the stage
had produced the bad merge commits.  All of the changes that were lost
by my rewind have been restored.

I fixed the mistake in the script and also added new server-side checks
to prevent commits with large messages from being accepted.  This should
prevent the problem in the future.

Although this problem was caught quickly, some of you may have pulled
during the period in which the bad history was published.  If you pulled
between 4pm and 6pm today (2011-01-13) you may have it.  To ensure that
you have the rewritten master, do this:

  git checkout master
  git fetch origin
  git reset --hard origin/master

Some of you may have already based new topics on one of the bad commits.
If so, you will get an error like this when you try to push to stage:

commit 020ef709 is a known bad commit that was removed from the server

This message comes from a new server-side check that specifically
prevents the known bad commits from ever being pushed again.  To avoid
the problem you will need to rebase your topic on the rewritten master.
If you don't know how to do this please reply to this message and ask
for help.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
-Brad