[vtk-developers] Embedding QVTKWidget(2) inside PyQt4 applications: help needed

Thorben Kroeger thorben.kroeger at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Feb 23 13:04:16 EST 2011

Hello everyone,

Our group (we do image processing at University Heidelberg) is looking
into using VTK in one of our applications, which is written in PyQt4.
Having had no success with vtk 5.6, I have upgraded to VTK git and am
now using QVTKWidget2 (with the SIP wrappers). I got it partially
working on Linux (both Gentoo and Ubuntu) and a Mac Book, but on Windows
VTK is unusable.

When embedding the QVTKWidget(2) into a layout and then adding that to a
mainwindow, the behaviour is different from simply having a toplevel
QVTKWidget(2).

Please have a look at this bug, where two very simple testcases are
included:

http://www.vtk.org/Bug/view.php?id=11852

Thanks for your input,

Thorben