[vtk-developers] VTK Modularization

Bill Lorensen bill.lorensen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 14:10:38 EST 2011

Folks,

Just a heads-up on some things to expect when VTK is modularized.

ITKv4 has a modularization effort led by Kitware. As part of this, the
ITK code layout will change accordingly. The work is described here:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/ITK_Release_4/Modularization

For ITK, we will go from about a dozen code directories to over 80
directories. This will result in over 40 libraries.

For the most part, applications are agnostic regarding source tree
layout. The include directories are handled by cmake. However, the
library specification in CMakeLists.txt can  cause issues.

The good news, for ITK, is that we have always had a cmake variable
called ITK_LIBRARIES. This  meant to be used by applications in
target_link_libraries rather than listing specific libraries.
The bad news, for ITK, is that hardly anyone ever used ITK_LIBRARIES.
The good news is that current ITK applications can start using
ITK_LIBRARIES within their ITK3 applications and avoid work when the
move to the modularized ITK4.

VTK does not have a VTK_LIBRARIES at least as far as I know.

Bill