[vtk-developers] New to VTK; wanting to contribute by fixing a bug

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Fri Feb 18 05:57:31 EST 2011

Perry-

Can you tell me more about the course you are attending? Luis Ibanez and I
teach an Open Source Software Practice Course at RPI and we try to follow
other similar courses around the world. Admittedly without doing any
searching on my part, can you point us to any descriptive links?

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 2:48 PM, Perry Spyropoulos <paspyrop at edisto.cofc.edu
> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My name is Perry and I'm an undergraduate at the College of Charleston.
> For our Software Engineering Practicum class, we have been tasked with
> finding an OpenSource project, learning the code, and attempting to
> contribute.  My team and I are hoping to contribute to VTK.
>
> We browsed the Mantis BugTracker, and found a bug to work on as our first
> contribution (bug webpage: http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=10854
> ).
>
> The VTK wiki was helpful by providing various requirements for
> contribution, however, we still have a few questions about the code
> submission process.  Once we've modified the source code, do we just do a
> cvs commit to the repository?  Is that considered a true submission, or
> rather a developers playground?
>
> If anyone could give us a step-by-step process for submission, or a link to
> something similar, that would be much appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Perry

William J. Schroeder, PhD
Kitware, Inc.