[vtk-developers] current vtk git: segfault on 'import vtk' within initQVTKPython on Ubuntu 10.10

Thorben Kroeger thorben.kroeger at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Feb 16 03:17:27 EST 2011

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to install the latest VTK version from git. I am using the
QVTKWidget2 together with the new SIP Python wrappers. Everything works
fine on one of my machines, running Gentoo Linux.

Now I need to install VTK on another machine, running Ubuntu 10.10.
Unfortunately, with a similar setup, I get a segfault like this:
(excerpt from the full backtrace as attached)

gdb --args python -c 'import vtk'

#1  0x00007fffde8f59d2 in ?? () from /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/sip.so
21 #2  0x00007fffdeb339d4 in initQVTKPython () from
/home/tkroeger/inst/lib/python2.6/site-packages/vtk/QVTKPython.so
22 #3  0x00000000004bdd3c in _PyImport_LoadDynamicModule ()

I'll also attach the exact 'cmake' call I have used to configure VTK on
this machine. As there seems to be a bug in the Ubuntu python-qt4
package, I have followed the advice here
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python-qt4/+bug/708706
to declare the QFileIconProvider in the sip file. Only with this change
does VTK compile and install.

I'm at a loss here, do you have any ideas what could be the cause of this?

Thanks,

Thorben