[vtk-developers] Strange repo happenings with vtkOpenGLProjectedTetrahedraMapper

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Dec 22 11:17:58 EST 2011

On 12/22/2011 10:53 AM, Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
> I can see what Bill means, if you look at commit 484a24c you can see
> that vtkOpenGLProjectedTetrahedraMapper had the vtkstd stuff removed,
> and that commit was merged. If you look at the commits that touched
> the file,
>
> git log -p VolumeRendering/vtkOpenGLProjectedTetrahedraMapper.cxx
>
> You cannot see that commit applied to the file anymore. I am guessing
> it got clobbered when a conflict was resolved by Utkarsh.
>
> Marcus

This command will show merges that touched the file since your commit:

  $ git rev-list 484a24c..master --merges |
    git --paginate diff-tree --color --stdin -r -m -p -Svtkstd \
        -- VolumeRendering/vtkOpenGLProjectedTetrahedraMapper.cxx

 From that output one can see that these commits:

  $ git show -m -Svtkstd 174c39e8
  $ git show -m -Svtkstd 3f0107d6

favored the topic's side rather than master's side.  Since the result
of the merge is identical to one of its parents Git does not consider
the merge to have made any change so it does not show up in a normal
git log for the file.

-Brad