[vtk-developers] Valgrind defects are zero!

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 14:18:14 EST 2011

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 2:06 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com> wrote:
> David,
>
> I think the lack of support by the community is disappointing. Peer
> pressure is one of the few effective tools that we have.
>
> The next step is to revive my stick. It's been in storage for a while.
>
> Bill

I think the new Gerrit procedures could totally eliminate this type of
problem. If the dashboard is green and there are 0 valgrind defects,
then if we simply don't accept any code that introduces dashboard
errors/defects, both of these quantities should stay at zero. Could
Gerrit treat that as a requirement, so that new code is only allowed
to merge into master if it introduces no problems? Allowing a human to
make this decision allows laziness/oversight/forgetfulness to play a
role.

Maybe something like this:
Automatically add a robotic reviewer named "Dashboard" to each topic
that gets pushed to Gerrit. The current requirement to merge (a human
saying "looks good, approved") should remain, but additionally this
new robotic reviewer must give its approval as well. This approval
would be "approved" for 0 errors/warnings/defects, and "I'd rather you
not merge" otherwise.

Of course this would require some work with the Gerrit team, but it
seems like a feature that everyone should be interested in.

Thoughts?

David