[vtk-developers] [Paraview-developers] change to vtkExodusIIReaderPrivate::ResetCache()

Crossno, Patricia J pjcross at sandia.gov
Mon Apr 25 17:29:25 EDT 2011

I tried the cache with various values.  Reducing the cache size increases the time to completion.  For a size of 128.0, it finishes in about 17 seconds.  For a size of 10.0, it completes in about 20 seconds.  For a size of 1.0, it took about 8 minutes and 15 seconds (timing this with my wristwatch).  I decided to rerun with a size of 0.0, and it took about the same amount of time as for a cache size of 1.0 (though is probably due to my timing method).  I'd never been willing to wait over 8 minutes for it to finish before.  Unfortunately, I cannot share the data set with you.  However, the size of the mesh is 637492 cells with 206134 points, which I suspect is larger than your sample files.

I am running this in the Visual Studio 2008 debugger on Windows Vista.  I don't have Valgrind on my machine, but looking at their list of supported platforms, I don't see Windows (though apparently there is some complicated work around using another package called Wine, which I'm not going to try).  We've also run the 0.0 sized cache on Tim's Mac and it exhibited similar slow behavior, which we also killed after multiple minutes, but before completion.  So this is not exclusively a Windows issue.

Pat