[vtk-developers] Documentation Parsing

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 16:54:12 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Marcus D. Hanwell
<marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Sebastien BARRE
> <sebastien.barre at kitware.com> wrote:
>> At 4/5/2011 04:21 PM, Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
>>
>>> It seems to be the dominant style in the VTK headers, it would be
>>> great to enforce a more consistent coding style. I thought the newline
>>> before each description was part of that.
>>
>> The author of the Perl script thought that too when he wrote it, more than
>> 12 years ago; there was only a handful of VTK developers :)
>>
>>> I agree that we should also make the Perl script more robust.
>>
>> [Sebastien]
>> Or... and that's my 2 cents here, fix it one last time, then finally propel
>> VTK to the 21st century by converting all the headers once and for all, and
>> stick to that format :) Granted, this might take some fixin' and
>> crowdsourcin', but hey.
>
> [Marcus]
> This is my dream, but I didn't want to muddy the water with another
> issue. I have asked a few times, I believe the wrapping is the main
> thing holding us back there, but I think that be the ideal solution.

Yeah, the header files should just switch to doxygen.  I would be willing
to modify the wrappers so they can parse doxygen comments... in fact
I already started doing so a few months ago, and there really isn't much
work left to do before it is done.

 - David