[vtk-developers] KdTree FindPointsWithinRadius

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 15:54:47 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 1:35 PM, David Doria <daviddoria at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why is everyone so against convenience functions? They make things
> convenient (read "easy", "intuitive", "clean") to use by definition...

Most of us are in it for the long haul (as developers), and the
smaller the class interfaces are, the easier it is to maintain the VTK
codebase.

In my opinion, class interfaces should be orthogonal, meaning that
there should be only one method for achieving one specific class
functionality.  This maximizes code coverage.

But the biggest problem with convenience methods is that different
people have different opinions about what is the "best/easiest" way of
doing something.  You can't add new methods to classes just because
someone thinks there is a better way of doing things.  New methods
should add new functionality.  Otherwise, they are bloat.

  David