[vtk-developers] How to contribute a change to vtkMetaImageReader ?

Karthik Krishnan karthik.krishnan at kitware.com
Mon May 31 11:02:55 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 6:20 PM, José Felipe Vargas Casadiego <
vargascasadiego at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I needed to read .mhd files and be able to take volumes of interest out of
> them. With vtkMetaImageReader I could read these files and with
> vtkImageReader I could obtain the volumes of interest (VOIs) at the expense
> of having to manually configure the reader. Hence I decided to combine the
> functionality of both in a new reader, 'till now simply called
> vtkMyMetaImageReader, inheriting from vtkImageReader2. With it it's possible
> to automatically read a .mhd file and then read subvolumes of it.
>
> I'd like to know if it'd be possible to add this to vtk. I've checked the
> website and I wasn't able to find a proper procedure to do it.

Jose:

Thanks.

If you are looking for an image based file format in VTK that already
supports Streaming Input, please take a look at vtkXMLImageDataReader.

The API is
  vtiReader->GetOutput()->SetExtent( requestedExtent );
  vtiReader->Update();

----

Could you please send us the patch.

Have you added the functionality to the MetaIO (third party) library itself
?

It sounds from your email (please correct me if I'm wrong), that you've
bypassed the Utilities/MetaIO library's read methods. Do you merely use them
to read in the header and then read in the bulk data using your own
file-seek methods. If so, it would be very hard for us to support that. The
MetaImage library allows one to store the image in a variety of ways (as
lists of 2D stacks, compressed with zlib, simple raw), and having the API
work for only one case may not be possible.

Thanks
--
karthik